After the meeting, the victim was contacted via WhatsApp, and he transferred at least S$4.9 million through a series of transactions to a corporate bank account supplied by the scammers.
The victim, after feeling that something was amiss, later contacted the Secretary to the Cabinet on Thursday, at which point he realised that he had been scammed.
In relation to earlier cases using the same modus operandi, three individuals were arrested and charged on May 9 for their suspected involvement in SIM card offences, police added.
In a Facebook post on Thursday, Mr Wong said: "I have been alerted that some people have received fake messages from someone impersonating the Cabinet Secretary and arranging meetings on my behalf.
"These messages are scams. Please exercise caution if you receive unsolicited messages of this nature."
"If you are unsure whether a message is legitimate, verify it through official channels before responding or sharing any personal information," added Mr Wong.
Continue reading...
The victim, after feeling that something was amiss, later contacted the Secretary to the Cabinet on Thursday, at which point he realised that he had been scammed.
In relation to earlier cases using the same modus operandi, three individuals were arrested and charged on May 9 for their suspected involvement in SIM card offences, police added.
In a Facebook post on Thursday, Mr Wong said: "I have been alerted that some people have received fake messages from someone impersonating the Cabinet Secretary and arranging meetings on my behalf.
"These messages are scams. Please exercise caution if you receive unsolicited messages of this nature."
"If you are unsure whether a message is legitimate, verify it through official channels before responding or sharing any personal information," added Mr Wong.
Continue reading...
